Sunday 1 April 2012

Cool crumpets mum!

I have always been one of those unusual people who really enjoys a good, healthy start to the day and have never understood how anyone could skip this important meal. My motto is that regardless of how busy you are, you should make time for a nutritious breakfast. If you are a busy person, you are probably most in need of the healthy start to your day!

I usually wake up hungry and go through phases of enjoying either my homemade, nutrient-packed fruit loaf smothered in ripe avocado, CADA+P (fresh coconut, almonds, dates, apple + pear) turbo pulsed a couple of times in the Thermomix and served with a dollop of yoghurt, or my healthy version of Swiss breakfast which was introduced to me by my mother-in-law many years ago. A good smoothie and homemade low-fat, high-fibre muffins also feature . . . or when in Australia, my favourite veggie cafe breakfast. Recently, I have added spelt crumpets to my repertoire thanks to my Thermomix :)


In Hong Kong, despite our British history, it can be hard to come by a good English-style crumpet, and you'll definitely have no hope finding the wholemeal variety! I stumbled across a Thermomix recipe online and since making them for my family several times now, I have discovered that the shop bought version just doesn't cut it in comparison. Try it for yourself!  My girls devour 2-3 for breakfast . . . honestly, they would eat them anytime of the day, and are always pleading with me to make more! I love that this recipe makes a lot. You can refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for a few days or freeze with a piece of baking paper in between each one. Simply pop in the toaster (on crumpet setting) and enjoy!
This is my version of Thermomixers’ crumpets recipe.


SPELT CRUMPETS - makes 16

For best results use bread (baker's) flour for this recipe. If you can't find spelt baker's flour, you can use spelt plain (all purpose), although you will need to prove the mixture for longer. This mixture can be made the night before and refrigerated overnight after proving. The longer you prove the better for more bubbles! Handle the mixture lightly so not to destroy any 
of those precious little babies.  

Ingredients:
200g white spelt bread flour + 1 tbsp
170g wholemeal spelt bread flour
1 tsp raw caster sugar
2 tsp dried yeast
300g tepid milk
200g tepid water
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
4 silicon egg rings
oil or butter for greasing

Method: 
Add the sugar, yeast, 1 tbsp of flour and 100g of the milk to TM bowl. Set to mix for 4-5 minutes at 37°C on speed 2. The mixture should be frothy.
Add remaining flour, milk, water, egg and salt. Mix for 10 seconds on speed 7. The mixture should resemble a thick batter. Mix further for 8 minutes at 37°C on speed 1.
Leave the mixture in the TM bowl to prove for at least 1 hour until the batter expands and bubbles at the surface. You can leave for a few hours if you need to.
After proving, add the bicarb soda and gradually increase the speed to beat the mixture for 2 minutes at speed 5. Allow the mixture to rest in a warm place for at least 30 minutes longer. You can leave the mixture to prove for even longer to develop more bubbles.
Oil the egg rings and frypan with a little butter or oil. Place the rings in the pan and heat for 1-2 minutes.
Pour batter slowly and carefully into each ring to about half the depth of the egg ring and cook on very low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the surface appears dry and is studded with holes. If there are no holes you need to prove your mixture for longer.
The mixture will rise to fill the rings. If it overflows, pour in less next time :) As the mixture is almost sets on top, puncture a few extra holes for visual authenticity :) Flip the crumpets over to cook on the other side for a minute or until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Clean and oil rings and frypan and repeat process until all batter has been used.
Serve warm with your favourite topping! You can pop them in the toaster for a crisper surface.

3 comments:

  1. WoW! great recipe and wonderful blog! i have just become a follower as i only stumbled across you today! im so excited! can i ask where you get these awesome egg rings? my kids would LOVE me to make crumpets for them in these!! thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm not sure where you are from, but a good kitchen shop will stock these fun egg rings. I hope you enjoy them. They are certainly worth the effort :)

      Delete
  2. These are yum, my 3 year old is onto his second already! I lightly toasted them and they were perfect!

    ReplyDelete